View of Toledo

The wind is at it again...which means I'm up. Stronger than my coffee, wind at night stirs me in a way no spoon would ever understand.

I grabbed my old journals from when I was a teenager. You know, back when we used pen and paper and internet was a timed privilege...I came across a creative writing assignment I did in college. We were asked to look through a huge pile of posters and do a few brainstorming exercises, writing down keywords that the image made us feel, and then put those words into a short poem or lyric. I was instantly drawn to a poster of El Greco's 'View of Toledo'. This was at a time when I was just getting away from my family for the first time by going to college 4 hours away from them, yet I was still under their thumb every second. Those were often dark times, but without them, I wouldn't be who I am today.

So while I sit here in the dark and think of things I cannot yet write about, I share with you my view of Toledo:


I stop to look at what I leave behind.
What I see seems far more empty than I remember.
The royalty, the power, the containment, the emptiness.
It seems so calm, almost too calm.
Cloudy thoughts that hide so much
Are beginning to clear as I reflect upon the paths I have taken.
They lead me nowhere, yet everywhere I've been.

Comments

  1. Dark and mysterious, painful and beautiful. Love this. Oh....and right there with you on the wind. Grrr.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts